Monday, September 12, 2011

Rondeau by Jennifer Linforth, 173 pages


Erik and Anna have been on the run for years, but seem to have found peace in a quiet Germany village with their two children. But ghosts from the past rise up and threaten to destroy everything. When Anna is captured by Loup, Raoul's bounty hunter, Erik must return to Paris and face Raoul and Christine one last time. But this time his family may be the ones to pay the price.
"Rondeau" is the stunning end to a wonderfully penned trilogy by Jennifer Linforth that continues Gaston LeRoux's "The Phantom of the Opera." Each book had me remembering why I empathized with and loved Erik so much over the years, despised Christine for not being able to see behind the Phantom's mask to Erik, and hated Raoul for destroying Erik's chances for happiness. Jennifer Linforth has done a superb job of staying true to LeRoux's original madman of a Phantom while showing the heartbroken man who lay behind the mask. Anna, as someone abused and beaten by life, while refusing to be broken by it, was the one woman who could love Erik and help him to have a chance at happiness. During this trilogy, I found myself tearing up, desperate for Erik and Anna to achieve happiness, wondering if it was ever possible. These books grabbed me and I found myself immersed in the storyline. While it is possible to read them as standalone novels, they would be better appreciated read together. My two regrets with this book is that it ends the story, leaving me nothing to look forward to, and that I got it as an e-book, so I'm unable to relish the story again and again. I believe I will be asking for this as a Christmas present.

No comments:

Post a Comment