Monday, October 24, 2011

Ernie Pyle's War by James Tobin, 312 pages


Ernie Pyle was the go-to war correspondent during WWII for many Americans because he covered the common soldier. This book covers Ernie's career, starting out as an aviation reporter, then a travelogue reporter, and finally a war correspondent. I had never heard of Ernie Pyle, but by the end of the book I felt like I knew him. Ernie's columns had the same reaction for his readers, creating an impression of a common man who was everyone's neighbor, reacting the same way we would. This book brought alive a section of American history that I had really only knew based on watching The Waltons (sorry, this time period wasn't my favorite) but I will now be looking for other books to read on this tumultuous time. I'm very glad I read this for the library book club.

No comments:

Post a Comment