Sunday, July 8, 2012

Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith, 307 pages

Seth Grahame-Smith made Pride and Prejudice something that you could take a bite out of with the addition of zombies, and took a swing at Abraham Lincoln by giving him a silver tipped axe and a passion for killing vampires. Now he's done the same thing with Jesus' birth, but there aren't any monsters, except for the people. What if the wise men weren't really kings or magicians, but instead thieves, on the run from Herod? How would that change the story?
I was a little hesitant when I picked this book up because I wasn't sure how respectful the author would be of one of the most beloved events in the Christian religion. But, I have to say he did a good job of putting a new spin on the story without mocking or belittling it. The way Balthazar treats Joseph for believing Mary's story of being pregnant with God's story is how I'm sure a lot of people reacted.
I can see a lot of people being upset that someone dared to mess with the story of Jesus' birth, but all in all, I think it was a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment