Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Color of Earth by Kim Dong Hwa, 319 pages

This was brought to my attention first when a patron complained about the books because they were inappropriate for the library. That right there always makes me want to read a book. Then I saw that they're on the top 10 list of challenged books for 2011. These graphic novels are set in Korea, about 60 years ago, I believe, and follow a young girl living with her widowed mother, from the age of seven up, as she discovers her blossoming sexuality. The artwork is wonderful, and the storyline is great, very true to even girls today, discovering what makes them a woman, and different from men. I don't consider the stories gross or inappropriate, even though there is some pages that could be considered a little racy. I will gladly fight the fight against censorship against these books.

No comments:

Post a Comment