Thursday, January 10, 2013

John Saturnall's Feast by Lawerence Norfolk, 410 pages

John Saturnall and his mother fled their village after accusations of witchcraft. Trying to stay alive in the woods during the winter, his mother opens a book and shares the story of an ancient feast, passed down through the generations. Unfortunately, it's not enough to keep his mother alive. Put to work in the kitchen at Buckland Manor, John becomes a cook, using the secrets of the feast. The English Civil War and figures from John's past threaten all that John holds dear.
This was a really strange read, with overtones of magic. I have to say that any book that involves Cromwell instantly has me on edge, because I feel such anger for what Cromwell destroyed. I'm not English and I'm far removed from this time period, so I'm not sure why I feel such a sense of ownership but I do. So that may have influenced my enjoyment of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment