Friday, August 30, 2013

Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter, 204 pages

I'd had a really bad week, and was feeling incredibly grumbly. So when I saw Pollyanna on my "want to read" shelf, I knew I had to pick it up. I've read this classic before but it's a treat worth repeating. I'm sure most people are familiar with the Disney classic featuring Hailey Mills, but the book is worth picking up on it's own. Pollyanna is an orphan sent to live with her spinster aunt who is willing to perform her "duty" and raise Pollyanna. Little does she expect Pollyanna to change her outlook and life with her optimism and her "glad game". The book celebrates a century this year, and there is a reason that it's still a beloved classic. Pollyanna's enthusiasm for life and belief in the basic goodness of people serves as a good reminder for me to have a more positive outlook, and I will try to play the "glad game" more often when I'm feeling grumbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment