Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Death of Santini by Pat Conroy, 338 pages

Boy, if anyone had told me a few months ago that I would be a fan of Pat Conroy (Beaches and The Prince of Tides) I would have laughed in their face. Our our book club decided on his short story collection My Reading Life and I was hooked. His book featured the books and people that gave him a love of reading and the written word in general. I have an obsessive love of reading, reading anything that crosses my path basically. His book The Great Santini featured heavily in the essays so I picked it up as well and loved it. I was hesitant to give this a go, fearing it wouldn't be nearly as good. I was not disappointed, this was actually better. I loved getting to see Pat's relationship with his parents as an adult, and after the book had come out. It was touching to see his father redeem himself with his children somewhat. I finished the book and just felt exhausted, drained and extremely touched. All signs of an outstanding read.

No comments:

Post a Comment