Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Pearl That Broke Its Shell by Nadia Hashimi, 432 pages

I'd seen this book recommended on a daily email I get, Hot at Harper's. It looked really intriguing so I did a suggestion for purchase. This book had me outraged, sad, and eagerly turning pages, all signs of an outstanding read. The novel covers an Afghanistan practice of girls living as boys until they come of age in families that have no sons. The emotional toll is superbly done and the character and plot development had me feeling for the daughters. I think the thing that outraged me most is the fact that women still live under these strict regulations, endangered and pushed down, all in the name of religion. I'm really wanting my husband to read this, especially in light of the recent hoopla going on via the Internet and the "Not all men" sites. Women have come so far but as long as any women live under these conditions, it's not far enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment