Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Wilder Life by Wendy McClure, 336 pages


Wendy McClure grew up loving the Little House on the Prairie books, imaging herself as Laura, picturing showing Laura her world, all in all, a Little House fan. When she rediscovers the books as an adult, what could be called a mini-obsession forms. Wendy buys an old coffee grinder to grind wheat seed so she can make bread like in The Long Winter, and even makes butter. She finds herself making treks to the sites of Little House homes and museums. This book is an homage to her love affair with Laura and the books.
I totally identified with this book, because I grew up loving Little House on the Prairie. I always consider Mary a goodie two-shoes, and enjoyed watching Laura, especially her interactions with Nellie. I have to say though that I prefer the television romance between Laura and Almanzo over the book version. I've even had a new appreciation through my youngest daughter's passion for the books, with me trying to track down a pig bladder so she can make a ball. This book was wonderful, sweet, poignant and funny, a must read for all those people who found themselves wanting to be a part of these books.

No comments:

Post a Comment