Thursday, March 10, 2011

Livia, Empress of Rome by Matthew Dennison, 320 pages


I had to review this book and was excited, because I love biographies of powerful women, and I hadn't read anything about Livia. Livia was the wife of Claudius, nephew of Julius Caesar, who basically finished turning Rome from a Republic to a oligarchy (ruled by an emperor.) Her son (stepson of Claudius) was then the next emperor. She is considered to be the power behind the throne of both emperors.
Unfortunately, this novel was not an enjoyable read. It was disjointed at times, with the storyline presented in a very dry manner. At times I thought I was perhaps reading someone's college thesis instead of a published biographer. I would recommend picking up a different book if you want to learn about Livia.

No comments:

Post a Comment