Sunday, March 20, 2011

Lord of Danger by Anne Stuart, 350 pages


This romance book (or bodice ripper) was referenced in an Unshelved comic strip a few years ago. I have wanted to read it, but the library doesn't have it and I kept forgetting about it. They reran the comic strip a little while ago and refreshed my memory. I then requested this book through a inter-library loan request so I could satisfy my need to read it.
Simon of Navarre is magician and sorcerer to Richard the Fair. Anxious to keep his sorcerer happy, Richard offers either of his two illegitimate sisters in marriage. Claire and Alys have been raised in a convent, and they are both sure Claire will be the one chosen due to her beauty. Alys is determined though to make Simon choose her to save Claire from this horrible fate. But Simon is immediately attracted to Alys due to her grace, intelligence, stubbornness, and hidden beauty. Evil soon besets this couple as they struggle to fight their attraction to each other. Can they overcome all, including their troubled backgrounds, to have any chance at a future together.
This wasn't one of the most tawdry and torrid romances I've read (that makes them more fun) but it wasn't bad. If you want a fun and steamy read set in the time of Henry the Third in England, you would enjoy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment