Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Fisher Boy by Stephen Anable, 332 pages


I had accidentally got the second book by this author, and I hate reading books out of sequence. So I picked this mystery up so I could read the second. This was a murder mystery set in Provincetown on Cape Cod. It features Mark, a standup comedian who is in Provincetown to enjoy the wonderful gay summers the town is known for. But when one of his old prep school friends is killed soon after having a public fight with Mark, he must work to find the killer and clear his name. There also seems to be a flood of hippie, Scandinavian panhandlers and shoplifters flooding the town, do they have anything to do with the murder? Or is it an ex-lover or someone Ian crossed over? Plus, Mark is starting to fall for a fellow member of the comedy troupe, Roberto. Will Mark be able to find the killer, or will the killer find him first?
This was a very odd mystery, convoluted and confusing. It just didn't grab my attention and hold it. I had to come back to the book a few times over the week it took me to read it. I do think I'll pick up this author's second book though to give him a fair chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment