Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Alienist by Caleb Carr, 599 pages


Lisa recommended this book to me after I had read Shadow in Gotham based on her review. I love well-done historical mysteries and this novel is one of the best I've read.
A serial killer is stalking 1890s New York City, and Police Commissioner Teddy Roosevelt (yep, that Teddy Roosevelt) must not only clean up corruption in the police force but put together a group that will be able to outwit and catch this killer. People with mental illnesses at this time where thought to be alienated from society and human nature so experts in mental pathology were called alienists. Famed alienist Laszlo Kreizler and crime reporter John Moore are old friends of Teddy's from college, so they are tapped to head the group. Will they be able to figure out the killer's plans and stop him before outside forces stop them, for good?
This was dark, fast-paced, extremely well-researched, filled with historical characters, and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I'm very glad I listened to Lisa!

No comments:

Post a Comment