Sunday, February 6, 2011

Wicked River, The Mississippi When It Las Ran Wild by Lee Sandlin, 270 pages


I told my husband that I have very eclectic tastes in reading. I have read 3 murder mysteries, a historical biography, 2 re"vamped" classics, and now a book about nothing but a river! This book covers the Mississippi basically in its heyday of the 1800s. I had not realized just how much the river changed year to year before it's course become completely controlled by man. This book also covered the people who made the river home and the settlers along it. One of the most interesting facts I learned was that camp meetings (religious revivals) would attracts thousands of people and usually descended into orgies of passion. Much different from camp meetings now! If you like nonfiction books that present a lot of information in a entertaining way, this is a great read. I will never look at the Mississippi the same the next time I drive over the bridge in St. Louis.

2 comments:

  1. "Orgies of passion"? Does this mean what I think it means? Guess those old timers had a much more interesting way of "worship".

    ReplyDelete
  2. It means what you think. I have attended revivals and that NEVER happened. The book even commented on nine month camp meeting baby booms.

    ReplyDelete