Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage, 290 pages


This book covered world history through beer, wine, spirits, coffee, tea, and Coca-Cola. From beer featuring in the agricultural settling in Mesopotamia and Egypt, coffee setting off religious debates in the Arab/Muslim world, tea influencing British policy in China and India, wine being the drink of intellectuals in the Greek and Roman civilization, whiskey/rum funding the slave trade and Coke spreading democracy through the world, this book covers it all. Chris in Reference recommended this to me when I mentioned that my family is hooked on the tv show Modern Marvels (imagine a whole hour devoted to how lunch meat is made) and I glad he did. If you love a lot of history, fun facts and a compelling read, you will want to pick this up. I will be quoting facts from this for a long and probably annoying time.

No comments:

Post a Comment