Monday, February 28, 2011

A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley, 399 pages


This is the 3rd mystery in the series featuring 11-year-old Flavia, in 1950s England. She is a young girl with a passion for chemistry and poisons, who has a tendency to stumble over dead bodies. These are well-written, filled with lots of science and chemistry, but in a clear way, integral to the plot, (and I say that as someone who didn't enjoy science class in school.) I am always kept guessing, but the plot always makes sense at the end. This book was different from the others in that I kept feeling bad for Flavia with the way she was being raised, or better said, the way she was raising herself. I just wanted to hug her, brush her hair, tuck her in, and tell her someone loves her (yes, that's the emotional mom in me) but it almost interfered with my enjoyment of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment