Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again by Frank Cottrell Boyce, 216 pages

I have been a fan of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang since the first time I saw the movie. When I discovered it was actually a book written by the same person who brought us James Bond (Ian Fleming) I loved it even more. So discovering a new sequel made me hesitant, wondering how they mangled a beloved favorite. But I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy this new update. The sequel has a family in England restoring an old family camper, and the father putting in an engine that turns out to be from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Chitty takes the family across the world gathering some of it's old parts, while being chased by a nefarious figure. The illustrations in the book really added to the story. I loved how very English this was. While it can never measure up to the original movie (yes, the one time I like the movie better than the book) it was still a great read.

No comments:

Post a Comment