Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Christmas With Ida Early by Robert Burch, 157 pages


I read the book Ida Early Comes Over the Mountain for the first time when I was probably 8 or 9 years old, and I've read it many times over the years. It's one of those old favorites that I'll come across on my book shelf, sit down with and enjoy for a comfortable hour every so often. So I was over the moon when I came across this sequel (that I didn't even know about) last month at an used-book store.
Ida is back keeping house for the Sutton family in rural Georgia up in the mountains. She still is the tallest woman around, the best story-teller, and living life on her terms. This is the first Christmas the Suttons will celebrate with their mother, but Ida will help them make new Christmas memories.
While this one didn't tug at my heartstrings as much as the first book, it was wonderful to get to hear more about characters that I now consider old family friends. If you want a feel-good book, you should pick up Ida Early Comes Over the Mountain and this heartwarming sequel. It will make you laugh and cry all at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment