Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Sex: A Book for Teens by Nikol Hasler, 190 pages


This book was found by one of our pages hidden behind books in the nonfiction section. Looking it over, I decided I wanted to read it before giving it to my 15-year-old to read. With such chapters as Sexual Identification; Kinks, Fantasies, and Fetishes; Foreplay; and The First Time, I was at times embarrassed and shocked (there was stuff I didn't know about) but felt it was information that I would rather my teen got from the book instead of her friends or the internet. I am hoping that this will encourage Renee to come to me with any questions she has (OMG, do people really do that?) but if nothing else it will serve as a conversation starting point. At times I felt like the book went too far in the premise of promoting teen sex, but I realized that it was written mainly for teens who are having sex or about too. If anything, the book may scare Renee off the thought of sex for a while. This is also a good resource for gay teens and their parents. The author included lots of information with humor. I just wish the book had a different cover. I sat in my car and read it during my youngest daughter's ballet class because there was no way I was sitting in the waiting room reading it in front of the other parents. I am sure we will get complaints about this book but that is all part of being a public library.

No comments:

Post a Comment