Thursday, April 7, 2011

Foundling by D. M. Cornish, 434 pages


Rossamund Bookchild is a foundling being raised at Madame Opera's Estimable Marine Society for Foundling Boys and Girls. Rossamund is a shy and quiet boy cursed with a girl's name, the name on a slip of paper being the only thing found on him abandoned as a baby. Rossamund is recruited into the ranks of the Emperor's Lamplighters. Lamplighters are those who light lamps along the highways at dusk and put them out at sunrise. He must travel across the Half-Continent to his post, if he can survive the trip. He must face kidnapping, monsters, and monster-fighters who may be more lethal than the monsters.
I had this book suggested to me by a staff person at Books-A-Million who felt so strongly about me reading this book that he came by the library and dropped off his personal copy for me! I hadn't planned on reading the book but how can you say no after a recommendation like that? Now I very glad I did. This was a good teen read, very different. I would say it was almost a cross between Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and The Last Apprentice by Delaney (if you haven't read that last book, you should). I've already ordered the next two in the series via inter-library loans.

No comments:

Post a Comment